Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Best Christmas Gifts


With Thanksgiving Vacation coming up this week, I thought this would be a good time for a project.

I always like to have my daughters artwork. I don't like having it on scraps of paper or any other type of media that is easily destructible.

My daughter approached me this year, with a "Can I just give you 20 bucks for Christmas? I don't know what to get you." I said "What! I want the same thing you gave me last year."

Last year, I bought a few pre-stretched canvasses, and invited my niece over. I said, what I want for Christmas, is for the two of you to make me and your mother a painting. The girls were a little intimidated at first. Being only eight and eleven years old and having to do a "real" painting.

I got out the pencils and the newsprint. I said, "What are you going to draw?" Both girls had no idea. I said, "OK, how about a snowman?" They both got excited about the idea. After they drew their snowmen, I got out the paint and some glitter. I had them do a practice run on the newsprint before I gave them the canvas.

I wanted them to get used to the Acrylic Paints, the texture, the brushes, how to mix colors. They then drew the picture on their canvas and after that, they went to town with the paint and glitter. The pictures came out adorable. My Sister was so surprised when she got her gift. My daughter and my niece were able to give gifts from their hearts that didn't cost them money.

Everyone tells me, "Your daughter is so creative". She totally is. Most kids are, give them a project, and you will get some beautiful art that you will have forever.

Technorati Tags:

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Welcome

I wear my embarrassing moments on my sleeve. Thanks for stopping by!

My Current Fixation:

Making The World A Better Place
One nice word, and one smile at a time. - Deanna

Want to Hear me tell the stories?

Things That Make You Go Hmm, To Go

Blog Archive