Sunday, November 27, 2005

It Was Meant To Be

I was watching The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants last night, and my head flooded with memories of Greece.

A few summers ago I spent four weeks island hopping in Greece. There is one memory in particular sticks out in my mind.

We were on the island of Paros, I had just gotten off the roughest ferry ride of my life from Antiparos. I actually vommited over the side of the boat. When I got off of the ferry I literally kissed the ground.

I sat down at the port to wait for my sea sickness to subside. I looked down, and saw a puppy in the gutter. He was shivering, even though it was about 75 degrees that day. His little belly was distended from starvation.

In Greece there are packs of stray dogs everywhere. People are just used to them I guess. Me, being the American that I am, I could not leave the puppy in the gutter.

My sea sickness was fading as I ran to the store to buy some dog food and a cup for water. I hand fed him and helped him drink the water. He managed half a wag. I decided to keep him. If we didn't he would die.

We took "Tixi" with us to a few more islands. A few days later we ended up in Athens. Little Tixi was changing. He had gone from the puppy that was content in your arms to the puppy that tore apart the hotel room.

Tixi was way too energetic. It became apparent that we could no longer travel with a dog. I didn't know what to do.

We were walking through the streets of Pireaus and saw a depressed crippled woman slumped over in a wheel chair. She looked as if she had given up on life.



When this woman saw Tixi her face lit up like a Christmas tree. She didn't speak English, and I don't speak Greek, but somehow we were able to communicate. She wanted to hold the puppy. Tixi loved her right away and this woman loved him back.

I asked her if she wanted to keep him. She said "Yes!" This woman was so thankful. I had to take a picture, it was such a beautiful thing.

With a crooked fist she waved good-bye and I knew the two of them were meant to be together.

Technorati Tags:

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Welcome

I wear my embarrassing moments on my sleeve. Thanks for stopping by!

My Current Fixation:

Making The World A Better Place
One nice word, and one smile at a time. - Deanna

Want to Hear me tell the stories?

Things That Make You Go Hmm, To Go

Blog Archive