Friday, November 04, 2005

Show Some Class, Not Your A$$!

Today I thought I would watch a different program on TV. I never saw it before, and it's always on so I thought, why not? Now I know why not. It was on MTV, wow do they really objectify women on that show it was hideous. They really aught to be ashamed of the message they are sending to young girls.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with a former roommate a few years ago. Keep in mind, she was going for her masters degree. She is not a dumb girl. She is very beautiful too. We were in the living room and she was watching MTV's Spring Break. There were these girls running around in only shaving cream or whipped cream, some kind of cream anyway.

She said to me and I quote "I wish I could be like that. They are so free with their bodies and are having so much fun." I said to her, "Are you kidding me? They look like idiots. They think the only way they can get attention is by taking off their clothes. You are way too smart to act like that, they should want to be like you."

After I said that, she thought about it, and then she said to me "you know I never thought about it that way. They just looked like they were having fun. I'm actually alright just the way I am".

It was so simple, in two minutes I pointed out a different perspective for her and she got the message. MTV has access to so many cool things. Why do they have to teach guys that girls are objects and they are to be objectified? They show the world that women enjoy being treated this way. Even smart girls fall for it. The whole thing is mind boggling.

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Welcome

I wear my embarrassing moments on my sleeve. Thanks for stopping by!

My Current Fixation:

Making The World A Better Place
One nice word, and one smile at a time. - Deanna

Want to Hear me tell the stories?

Things That Make You Go Hmm, To Go

Blog Archive